Jennifer A. Chin (cswallow) wrote,
Jennifer A. Chin

  • Mood:

Parents Weekend

I feel like I'm coming back from a week long vacation, though I've only been gone since Friday night.

My parents got in around 6:30 and we went out to dinner at Bob Chinn's Crabhouse. For those of you who've never heard of it, it's one of the top grossing restaurants in the country. Apparently Bob Chinn's mother was cousin's with my grandmother (on my dad's side). Crazy :D I remember going there once when I was maybe 10 or 11 and Bob Chinn personally came out and seated us and showed us all the best specialty dishes to order. Anyway, the food was great.
I stayed at the hotel with my parents and had an entire double bed all to myself. In the morning we went to Walker Bros. and I had a Belgian waffle with strawberries and vanilla ice cream.

We drove up to Wisconsin to see the House on the Rock, which is this crazy house built by some guy who wanted somewhere to put all his collections. Eventually there was so much curiosity generated about this house that he started charging admission in hopes that people would stop talking about him and go away. Instead, more people wanted to come, and so he just kept on charging admission, which he'd then turn around and put right back into the House by buying more things. Basically, it's collections of huge elaborate dispays of mechanical musical instruments, dolls, dollhouses, model boats, carousel horses, paperweights, santa clauses, guns, wax figurines, carriages, items from the orient, Tiffany lamps, cigarette lighters, piggy banks.. I mean, everything. You know how some people collect certain kinds of items, well I think he basically collected them all. In addition to this, there's an enormous steel/wood/fiberglass statue of a whale fighting an octopus that's as long as the Statue of Liberty is tall, and also the largest carousel ever built that has some 27,000 lights and 278 animals (none of them horses). It was just ridiculously amazing. And they didn't even have all the exhibits open because it was winter time and so it costs too much to heat the whole place. But yeah, that was really fascinating :D
We went to Culver's and had burgers and then I had a huge chocolate fudge sundae (bringing my scoops of ice cream for the day to five). After that we headed off for the Mays' house. They're our close friends from when we lived in Illinois and they have a small house right on the shore of Lake Michigan. It's little and cozy, and I loved it. There's four doors on the lake side of the house, all of them with big panes of glass so you can look out and see an uninterrupted view of the lake.
When I woke up in the morning (I got my own room) I saw sunlight coming through the blinds, and the sounds of Auntie May making breakfast in the kitchen and I think I laid there for 30 minutes feeling warm and cradled and so, so comfortably at home.
I got out of bed around 8:30 or 9, and for the next five hours went through a couple cups of coffee, lots of great food, worked on my story, wrote in my journal, walked around outside until I froze, talked to my parents and the Mays, and felt so relaxed and calm. By the time we left at 2 I was just in this total state of comfort. I didn't want to leave. It felt great being able to not worry about anything, to laugh at the jokes that Mr. May makes.

So yeah, now I'm back here in the dorm, gearing up for a long night of work. But I'm going home in two and a half weeks :o) So that's exciting, and well. Here's to two weeks of non-stop everything from here on out. haha :D
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.